ICANN signs MOU with EURid
Brussels, 10 February 2015 - The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) signed today with the European Registry for Internet Domains (EURid), manager of the .eu TLD, a Memorandum of Understanding for the purpose of collaborating together on developing local expertise in DNS technical, policy, and business areas in Africa and the Middle East.
This partnership works to further support ICANN’s Africa and Middle East strategies to facilitate the domain names sector’s growth in both Africa and the Middle East and strategically position both regions for future business and national success.
The MoU crystalises the efforts being done by both entities and recognises the need to implement the below, in order to further strengthen and develop the DNS sector in Africa and the Middle East.
- Raise awareness about DNS technical, policy and business aspects, and encourage participation in the different regional and global fora relating to DNS;
- Participate in regional forums aimed at supporting the growth of the domain name industry in Africa and the Middle East;
- Conduct educational workshops to share Registry / Registrar business and operational best practices;
- Support fellowships / internships for representatives of the DNS industry in Africa and the Middle East;
- Promote the use of Internationalised Domain Names (IDNs).