Q3 2018 – .eu extension records 173 187 new registrations
25 October 2018 – Brussels, Belgium
EURid has released its Q3 2018 Progress Report on the status of the .eu and .ею extensions.
Highlights from Q3:
- 173 187 new domain name registrations were recorded;
- Portugal leads the list of top growth countries at +11.0% growth;
- 14 ADR cases were filed;
- The average renewal rate was 74%, down 8% since Q2;
Total registrations decreased from 3 790 450 at the end of Q2 to 3 747 879 at the end of Q3. This can be attributed to EURid’s ramped up efforts towards tackling domain name abuse within the .eu domain name space. Thus far in 2018, 36 336 abusive domain names have been suspended, 11 760 of which were suspended in June of Q2 alone.
Moreover, the uncertainty surrounding Brexit and the .eu extension could have played a role in the overall drop. EURid continues to wait for an official decision from the European Commission on this matter. Visit EURid’s dedicated Brexit webpage for updates.
Developments from Q3:
- EURid uploads dedicated page on Brexit and the .eu extension
- EURid supports clean water initiative in Uganda
- The 2018 .eu Web Awards finalists are unveiled
- MOU renewed with TaC International
- EURid welcomes a new visual style
A major development from Q3 was the unveiling of the 2018 .eu Web Awards finalists. Overall, the nomination and voting period for the 5th iteration of the .eu Web Awards tallied over 130 nominees with more than 9 500 votes. The finalists are invited to attend the gala on 21 November 2018, where the winners will be announced.